Carmen Mory started out in life with all the advantages of a first-class education. She went to school in Berne,
True Detective August 2010
Carmen Mory started out in life with all the advantages of a first-class education. She went to school in Berne, Switzerland, where she was born, and later went to finishing colleges in England, France and Holland. An excellent linguist, she spoke French, English, Dutch and German. Few people will dispute the fact that Carmen had bags of talent, energy and brains that might well have benefited mankind had they been used for a different end. Instead, however, she found a far more sinister application for her many talents. The Spy Who Cheated The Hangman Three Times, part 1 of a new series entitled Danger Women.
A special mention this month for our regular Under The Spotlight article. It features a heartrending letter – found by one of our researchers – written to a famous London serial killer after the woman’s son had been hanged for a murder committed by the serial killer. “I am the woman who called you murderer three years ago,” she wrote in part, “before ever the police knew about you…You might think a full confession won’t do you any good, but it will. It may save your soul from hell and give me the peace of mind I have not had for three years past.” For the woman’s full, uncorrected, letter have a hankie handy.
In 1910 the death of an English king saved an Irishman from the gallows at Dublin’s Mountjoy Prison, thereby ensuring him a unique place in criminal history. Intrigued? Of course you are.
* TD’s Crime Photos/ Prize Competition
* Orkney’s Monkey Man Murder
* Under The Spotlight: A Mother’s Plea To A Serial Killer
* A New Face For Connie
* Your Letters More of your views
* Part 1 Of A New Series – Danger Women: The Spy Who Cheated The Hangman Three Times
* Readers’ Jury
* The World’s Worst Killers
* From Australia: Sentenced To Death For A Murder He Did Not Commit
* Execution USA
* Crime Observer
* Make A Break: Crossword
* Classic Irish Murder Cases Part 14: When The Death Of An English King Spared An Irishman From The Gallows
* This Royal Occasion Did Not Stop The Hanging
* Death In The Line Of Duty Part 5
* Old Enough To Hang
* The Crime That Sent Three Men To The Electric Chair