True Detective February: A hangman with three assistants and one of the condemned men smoking a cigarette en route to the gallows were all part of an unusual double-execution in London in the summer of 1927…
True Detective February 2014
True Detective February: A hangman with three assistants and one of the condemned men smoking a cigarette en route to the gallows were all part of an unusual double-execution in London in the summer of 1927. It was a unique case that had its beginnings on a building site in Purley, Surrey, and the theft of a large amount of brass and lead during which the night-watchman was viciously battered to death. Even then the story the two accused men – who were traced to the Bridge Hotel in Doncaster – told the authorities might well have saved their lives…See An Extraordinary Hanging At Wandsworth and part one of the cracking new series Partners In Crime And Death.
Two tenants of the apartment building in Sean Hales Place, Bandon, County Cork, Ireland, phoned the garda to say they had been disturbed by a row in the flat above their own. On going to investigate they saw blood dripping down the stairs, more gore in the hallway, and two people lifting a body over railings outside. Turn to What Drove Ireland’s Body-In- The-River Killers? and a case that reduced three jurors to tears…
“I started preparing for prison life a long time ago. I fasted, did yoga, I am not afraid of death,” Anatoly Onoprienko said in a chilling interview he gave to a British newspaper after he was sentenced to death by a Ukrainian court for 52 murders. “Death is nothing for me…If I am ever let out I will start killing again, but this time it will be worse, ten times worse…” Read our report on the life and Death Of The Terminator, one of the world’s worst serial killers.
But – incredible though it seems – there is still more to read inside this issue
* Cruelty beyond belief
* What drove Ireland’s body-in-the-river killers?
* Under The Spotlight: Arthur Shawcross – “The Genesee River Killer”
* Death of The Terminator
* Questions & Answers: Alice and Arthur’s fatal affair
* Execution USA
* Crimes That Made The Headlines – Part 16: He wrote a checklist for murder
* Part 1 Of A New Series: Partners In Crime – And Death – An extraordinary hanging at Wandsworth
* Racist sniper claims 20 victims
* Living With The Dead: Clue of the torn-up photograph
* No one foresaw the crystal ball killer
* Plus Crossword, TD’s Crime Photos/ Prize Competition, Your Letters, Readers’ Jury and much more