Save money! Never miss an issue!
Take a year's subscription.
Subscribe here »
Radiating boyish charm and a wholesome image, 25-year-old Lonnie Barron didn’t drink, didn’t smoke and didn’t swear. He kissed babies, complimented old ladies and praised fellow-performers. His only vice? Women. For when he was found shot dead on that freezing January evening in 1956 he lay in his bathroom surrounded by boxes overflowing with passionate fan mail from teenage girls, bored housewives, lonely spinsters, divorcees and even grandmothers. Needless to say, most of the letters contained sexual invitations or throbbing declarations of undying love. Some women even enclosed photographs of themselves in their underwear. Have we piqued your curiosity? Then turn to page 16 for this month’s Questions & Answers feature involving the life and death of the man described as “Michigan’s Own Elvis.”
Gatekeeper John Gregory was an old soldier who had served in the Crimea. He was also one of the first men on the scene when the body of elderly John Gallagher, steward and paymaster for the sprawling Seaforde Estate in County Down, Ulster, was found. But it seemed that Gregory knew a little too much about the murder for his own good – and he was also under a month’s notice for his poor work performance.
Christa Pike has the “distinction” of being the youngest woman on Death Row since the restoration of the death penalty in the US in 1976. She was sentenced to death in January 1995 for the killing of a love rival when she was just 18. Then in March this year she attempted what few male inmates on Death Row have tried – to escape, with the connivance of two men, one a former prison guard. For the inside story on this amazing woman, almost unprecedented in the annals of crime.
* Couple’s killer had been in Britain for just eight days
* Torture-killer Christa in Death Row escape bid
* From Felixstowe: Mystery death in the captain’s cabin
* Questions & Answers: Dead amongst his fan mail – who shot “Michigan’s own Elvis?”
* The World’s Worst Killers
* Last Executions In Ireland Part 7: Murder at the gateway
* From Leeds: Two confessions – one murder
* Execution USA
* Grisly Tales Of The Guillotine Part 10: Gunned down as they cuddled
* Crime Observer
* America’s Most Evil: Shocking crimes of the Hilltop Rapist
* Deadly divorce
* Your Letters, TD’s Crime Photos/prize competition, Make A Break: Crossword and much more...